Thursday, January 12, 2012


I apologize for being so behind on posting. So, it's been a little while since I read this beautiful historical piece by one of my favorite authors, Alice Hoffman. 

Based on historical events in 70 C.E., The Dovekeepers is the story of four extraordinary women who much fight against their circumstaces to survive after escaping different kinds of persecution only to come together in a place called Masada. This place is a stronghold that evenually comes under seige by the Romans.  Their loves, secrets, and perseverance in the wake of much adversity makes this tale a remarkable work about the strength of women.

If you enjoyed books like my favorites, The Red Tent by Anita Diamont or Pope Joan by Donna Cross, then you will love The Dovekeepers.

2 comments:

LJ said...

I have not read this yet but on your recommendation I will soon. I have not met anyone else who has read 'Pope Joan' which I really liked so I am hoping we have similar tastes.
Ever read '1000 Women, the Journals of May Dodd'? Very interesting story.

LibraryLisa said...

Yes, I have read 1,000 White Women and enjoyed it very much. A review should be in my blog archives. Thanks so much for posting!