Sunday, July 1, 2012

Bossypants by Tina Fey


There is not much to say about this brilliant memoir except this: I laughed my pants off!

Tina Fey is a study in how one woman can take all the characteristics that others (mostly men) find fault with(quirkiness, a dry sense of humor, forward thinking, sassiness) and turn them into not only a relevant, prosperous, empowering career, but into a life story that should help other women see themselves better. Fey talks about her early days at Second City and her rise to fame on Saturday Night Live and 30 Rock. She talks about her collaboration with Lorne Michaels, and her friendship and respect for Alec Baldwin and Tracy Jordan. In between these fascinating stories, she gives women some funny, yet real and practical advice about how to get ahead in a man's world and realizing both your potential and your dreams in the process.

But most of all, this book made me laugh. It made me laugh and laugh and laugh. I read it in the space of two days, and during those two days, my daughters kept saying to me, "Mom, really? Stop it, it can't be that funny!" But yes, it can. When I was done, I handed it to my husband and said, "If you want to know what I really think is funny, here it is."  So, if you love 30 Rock as much as I do, you'll love this light, quick read.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny, clever, smart. I keep re- reading parts over so I may absorb some of Tina Feys' ways of thinking.